2. What is the real meaning of contemporary?
What is the relationship between contemporary
world and globalization?
3. What is globalization?
• Swedish Journalist Thomas Larsson (2001) – the process of
world shrinkage, of distances getting shorter, things moving
closer. It pertains to the increasing ease with which somebody
on one side of the world can interact, to mutual benefit with
somebody on the other hand of the world.
• Martin Khor (mid-1990s) – the former president of
Third World Network in Malaysia
- Globalization as colonization
4. • Webster’s Dictionary (1961)
- Broad and Inclusive (1) - Equal opportunities for everyone. Secured opportunities for
everyone. growth for the countries. Development of the nations.
- Narrow and Exclusive (2) - The focus of the globalization would be limited to the country
• Ohmae (1992) – Globalization means the onset of the borderless world. (Broad and
• Robert Cox – the characteristics of the globalization trend include the internationalizing of
production, the new international division of labor, new migratory movements for South to
North, new competitive environment that accelerates these processes, and the
internationalizing of the state… making states into agencies of the globalizing world.
(Narrow and Exclusive)
5. Why and How?
• Firstly, defining globalization is shaped by the perspective of the person who
defines it. The overview of definitions implied that globalization is many
things to many different people.
• Secondly, to paraphrase the sociologist Cesare Poppi: globalization is the
debate and the debate is globalization. One became part and parcel of the
• Thirdly, globalization is reality. It is changing as human society develops.
9. • Zygmunt Bauman’s (2000)
1. Today’s liquid phenomena change quickly and its aspects, spatial and
temporal, are in fluctuation. (space and time)
2. Global finance – changes in the stock market are a matter of seconds.
3. Difficult to stop – example: the videos being uploaded on YouTube or
Facebook are hard to halt once they become viral
• Ritzer (2015:6) – tends to melt whatever stands in its path (especially solid)
Liquid - Refers to increasing ease of movement pf people,
things, information, and places in the contemporary world.
10. • Foods – think of the different foreign cuisines being patronized and
consumed by the Filipinos
Flows – are the movement of people, things, places, and
information brough by the growing “porosity” of global limitations.
11. • Global financial crises – In global financial system, national borders are
• Poor illegal migrants flooding many parts of
the world, the virtual flow of legal and illegal
information such as blogs and child pornography.
• * Filipino communities abroad
and Chinese communities in the
12. THE WORLD MADE CLOSER
• Enumerate at least three of the most recent songs you have listened to. Where
did they start? Identify the nationality of the creator and/or artist for each
• What gadget/devices do you usually use to listen to music?
• Where are these gadgets/devices made? Where is the company based?
• How did you access these music? Do you purchase them online or listen to
them through YouTube, Spotify, and other music channels?
• Using visual representation, create your generalizations and discuss: What is
globalization? Or How do I define globalization?