O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a navegar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nosso Contrato do Usuário e nossa Política de Privacidade.
O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a utilizar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nossa Política de Privacidade e nosso Contrato do Usuário para obter mais detalhes.
At the end of this lecture the leaner
will be able to answer the listed
• What is the IV PUMP Infusion ?
• Why IV PUMP Infusion is it
important for the patient?
• Who are the patients in title for
using IV PUMP Infusion?
• How to operate the machine?
Infusion pump delivers
measured amounts of fluids or
medications into the
bloodstream over a period of
They supply a controlled
amount of drugs very slowly
into the bloodstream over a
period of time.
• Iv infusions are frequent contributor to medication
• 90% of patient receive medications through IV rout.
• ISMP estimated that 2/3 of preventable death are
due infusion therapy and attributable to manual
programming errors when using infusion pump.
4/21/2018Jamilah saad Alqahtani6
ISMP- Institute Safe Medication Practice
There are two primary indications for the
use of infusion pumps:
Prevention of fluid overload
Administer a specific amount of
a pharmacologic agent
4/21/2018Jamilah saad Alqahtani7
Factors impact infusion
•Age of the patient
4/21/2018Jamilah saad Alqahtani8
Risk assessment prior to
initiating infusion is
essential to enhance
individualized care plan
for each client
4/21/2018Jamilah saad Alqahtani9
Keep It Simple: Safe
TYPES OF PUMP
There are two basic classes of pumps.
1. Large volume pumps can pump nutrient solutions large
enough to feed a patient.
2. Small-volume pumps infuse hormones, such as insulin, or
other medicines, such as opiates .
4/21/2018Jamilah saad Alqahtani10
Iv Pump Infusion Process
1. ENSURE the machine is plugged correctly into suitable electrical
socket, switch on the machine
2. Prepare the materials needed and check for expiry date
3. Normal saline
4. Primary & secondary giving set
5. Flush or primary giving set to iv pump
6. Set rate, volume
7. Connect line to patient
8. Start infusion
9. Check safety: machine, stand and keep line untangled
10. Document amount of fluid given for one hour
4/21/2018Jamilah saad Alqahtani12
Consult the manufacturer’s operators manual for specific messages that
may be displayed concerning pump alarms. There are three generic
messages that could be shown by the infusion pump:
• No flow
• Tubing clamped
• High pressure occlusion
• Tubing clamped
• Device has occluded
• Device has infiltrated
• Volume infused
• Preset volume has been delivered to the patient
• Previous volume setting has not been deleted from programming
4/21/2018Jamilah saad Alqahtani14
• IV pumps help prevent fluid overload by limiting the amount
of fluid administered. IV pumps will also alert the transport
paramedic to potential problems, such as a reduced flow,
occlusions or a low battery.
• Finally, the IV infusion pump, as the name implies, provides
pressure to the solution. This helps in two ways.
• First, it assists in maintaining IV patency and second, it aids in
overcoming any potential resistance. Resistance may be in the
form of an indwelling problem in the patient (i.e., excessive
vasoconstriction) or due to a small diameter of infusion
4/21/2018Jamilah saad Alqahtani15
• Numerous IV pumps exist on the market today
thus preventing a detailed explanation of each
individual type. However, there are certain
generic similarities that exist between each
• The IV pumps that will be in use by the
transport paramedic consist of two principle
types, peristaltic and piston-driven.
4/21/2018Jamilah saad Alqahtani16