4. A website with frequently updated
content about a specific keyword-
or topic-oriented subject.
A blog is housed on a content
management system, or CMS,
which we’ll talk more about later.
WHAT’S A BLOG?
9. • Search Engines: Reading for
keywords, links, and context.
• Existing and Potential
Customers: Reading for helpful
• Sharers and Influencers: Reading
to add value to their networks.
WHO READS A BLOG?
10. • Anyone who wants to drive site
• Anyone who wants to establish
Blogging solves for traffic,
authority, and relevancy.
WHO SHOULD BLOG, AND WHY?
14. A CMS is different in that:
•It’s hosted on your domain, so SEO visibility benefits your site
(as opposed to Blogspot.com, WordPress.com, or Tumblr.com);
•It’s more customizable; and
•It has a broader feature set.
HOW IS A CMS DIFFERENT FROM FREE,
HOSTED BLOGS OFFERED BY WORDPRESS,
BLOGGER & TUMBLR?
16. Blogging is only one tool businesses have
at their disposal to attract strangers to their
site to convert into happy, paying
That’s why blogging works best when
it’s integrated with other marketing
WHAT’S EVEN BETTER THAN A BLOGGING
17. Unlike other CMSs, HubSpot isn’t just a CMS. It’s a suite of
integrated inbound marketing weapons.
WHAT KIND OF MARKETING TOOLS?
18. 1. Built-in Social Publishing and Email: Google+ authorship
support, subscription emails, and social sharing.
2. Built-in SEO: On-page keyword integration and recommendations
as you type.
3. Out-of-the Box Responsive Design: No need for heavy mobile
design investment. Your blog posts are consumable no matter the
4. Integrated Analytics: Understand what content converts.
4 REASONS IT MAKES SENSE TO BLOG ON
24. Organic traffic converts:
•5X better than referral traffic.
•2X better than paid traffic.
BLOGGING DRIVES ORGANIC TRAFFIC TO
25. Once visitors arrive at your blog,
they have calls-to-action, additional
blog posts, site navigation, and
featured offers, products or
services to lure them into exploring
more of your site.
BLOGGING HELPS CONVERT THAT TRAFFIC
26. Educational, helpful, or otherwise
useful content positions your
company as an industry expert and
engenders trust in your company.
BLOGGING HELPS ESTABLISH AUTHORITY.
27. Blogging is gift that keeps on
If the HubSpot marketing team
stopped blogging, we’d still
generate 70-75% of our blog traffic
from old posts!
BLOGGING DRIVES LONG TERM RESULTS.
28. The average company that blogs
•55% more website visitors.
•97% more inbound links.
•434% more indexed pages.
SERIOUSLY. IT WORKS.
29. COMPANIES THAT BLOG GENERATE 126%
MORE LEADS THAN THOSE THAT DON’T.
Source: HubSpotSurvey N = 2,300
34. • Title: Up to 70 characters with
• Image: With Alt text.
• Length: Typically between 300-800
• Keyword Density: Natural.
• Calls-to-Action: Primary and
• Social Buttons: Follow and Share.
WHAT ARE THE COMPONENTS OF A BLOG
36. • Drive a ton of traffic?
• Generate better qualified leads?
• Garner social shares?
• Establish yourself as an industry leader?
• Keep your readers engaged in your blog?
WHAT DO YOU WANT YOUR POST TO
ACHIEVE FOR YOUR BUSINESS?
37. • Learn how to do something.
• Think about something in a new way.
• Be entertained.
• Have their curiosity piqued.
• Advance their skill set.
WHAT DO YOU WANT YOUR READER TO GET
FROM YOUR POST?
38. 1. Keyword alignment.
2. Persona alignment.
3. Good writing.
4. Scannable formatting.
5. Data or research.
THE ANATOMY OF A GREAT BLOG POST.
39. 1. The topics people care about.
2. The keywords people use to
find those topics.
3. The fact that readers scan.
GOOD BLOG POSTS CONSIDER:
41. • Writing captivating titles.
• Hooking ‘em in the intro.
• Using proper grammar and spelling.
• Using clear, jargon-free language.
• Being helpful.
• Being accurate.
• Being succinct (edit, edit, edit!).
THAT MEANS YOU NEED TO GET GOOD AT:
42. • Use humor.
• Get personal.
• Shock them.
• Show empathy.
• Make a promise (then
deliver on it in the rest of
WRITE INTRODUCTIONS THAT TAP INTO
43. WRITE TITLES THAT DRAW READERS IN.
Preview a content
with the blog post.
Use specific and
Use lists and visuals
convey the content
will be easy to
44. 1. Write to communicate a message, not for word count.
2. Creating content interesting to your audience.
3. Write posts people will want to link to.
4. Don't be self-promotional.
5. Think like a teacher: Teach your audience something
6. Use visual differentiators.
6 BLOG POST WRITING TIPS.
45. • Short paragraphs.
• Headers and sub-headers.
• At least one image.
• Internal links.
• Numbered lists.
• Bolded or italicized terms and phrases.
BY “VISUAL DIFFERENTIATORS,” WE MEAN:
46. 1. Support and add validity to your points.
2. Help you convey your message more clearly and succinctly.
3. Break up the monotony of written content.
4. Help readers glean your message faster (while scanning).
DATA & VISUALS ARE THE CHERRY ON TOP
OF AN EXCELLENT BLOG POST. THEY CAN:
51. CONTENT IDEAS CAN COME FROM
1. Your idea backlog (if you don’t have one, start one).
3. Reading the news.
4. Talking to coworkers.
5. Brainstorm meetings.
6. Customer questions.
52. 4 CONTENT ANGLES ALREADY RIGHT UNDER
1. Write a post for every question a prospect or customer has
ever asked you.
2. Ask your customers and prospects what problems they’re
trying to solve.
3. Take a look at what content your competitors are
4. Write about the latest industry news story.
54. PULL FROM CONTENT THAT ALREADY
• Pull from your company collaboration tool (wiki, social
• Excerpt from existing content.
• Reformat written and visual content.
• Transcribe videos.
• Turn presentations into SlideShare presentations.
• Compile compelling data.
55. INTERVIEW SUBJECT MATTER EXPERTS IN
• Ask your Sales team what questions they often hear over
• Same goes for Customer Service.
• Interview industry pundits and authors.
• Tap guest bloggers in your industry.
56. You can also use HubSpot’s free Blog Topic
Generator to get more than a handful of ideas.
Click Here to Get IdeasClick Here to Get Ideas
58. RESOURCES ABOUT BUSINESS BLOGGING IN
Blog Post: The
Blog Post: How
Long Will It
Take to See
Blog Post: 8
Things I Wish I
Knew Before I
Blogging Click to view or
59. RESOURCES TO HELP WITH WRITER’S
BLOCK & GETTING STARTED.
Blog Post: How
to Get Past
to Writing Good
Blog Post: The
Writing a Solid
PostClick to view or
60. RESOURCES TO HELP WITH CONTENT IDEAS.
5 Free Blog
Blog Post: 7
to Unhitch You
From a Rut
Click to view or
61. RESOURCES TO HELP WITH BLOGGING
Blog Post: 100
Tips & Tricks
Click to view or