O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a navegar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nosso Contrato do Usuário e nossa Política de Privacidade.
O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a utilizar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nossa Política de Privacidade e nosso Contrato do Usuário para obter mais detalhes.
Fresh food first, end-displays, pester power an other peers, shopping cart
Heidi Hellström, Senior lecturer
Vaasa university of applied sciences, Finland
The behavior occurs after experiencing an urge to buy and it
tends to be spontaneous and without a lot of reflection. It does
not include the purchase of a simple reminder item, which is an
item that is simply out of stock at home.”
(Beatty, Ferrell 1998)
Spur of the moment, unplanned decision to buy, made just
before a purchase.
Choices made without
considering the long term interest
• Pure Impulsive Buying
– The consumer is not looking for the product at all
but feels a strong emotional want. Low price is a
common trigger to this category.
• Suggestion Impulsive Buying
– purchase is not planned because the consumer
has no previous knowledge about the product
• Reminder Impulsive Buying
– about a particular advertisement or information
previously noticed by the consumer
• Planned Impulsive Buying
– consumer has in mind to buy something or some
sort of good but the choice of what kind of
product, brand, size or price etc. has not been
In summary: 3 main characteristics
1. The purchase should be unplanned i.e. there is no buying
intention prior to the entrance of the consumer into the store.
2. Stimulus is what triggers impulse buying whether it is
reminder, environmental manipulations (Engel et al 1968,
Lindstrom, 2009) or the buyers’ own thoughts (Hirschman,
3. The purchase decision is made on-the-spot i.e. an impulse
purchase is spontaneous, sudden and occurs at the point of
sale. This means that the purchase is made immediately after
the buying decision.
4. Sales person
• Tips for sales speach:
– Previous consumer´s satisfaction examples
– Drawing a image / brand promise
• the products are sold out, if you don´t buy one now
– Offer alternatives so the consumers feel like
they have made the decision themselves