Dfc2043 operating system; open & closed source systems
ZARINA BINTI MUSA
NURUL ALINA BINTI MOHD RAZALI 13DIP15F1025
NUR IZZATI BINTI MOHD ROSLI 13DIP15F1033
IZZATI BINTI ISMAIL 13DIP15F1117
NUR FATIHA BINTI ISMAIL 13DIP15F1176
AHMAD FAKHRI BIN AHMAD MUKRIM 13DIP15F1200
What is closed source system?
Closed source system means that the
source code is held by the developer of a
development, and only they can make any
changes or study it.
Closed source system don’t reveal their
source code, as the result the only people
who can debug the source code are some of
those who work in the company of a
Full support from vendor if any problem
Advantages and disadvantages
of closed source system
1. Direct vendor technical support
which means when system
support is needed, in case of
problem or upgrade, the actual
person or team who created the
system can work on it.
2. Support is obligatory rather than
optional as when something goes
wrong, the owner of the system is
responsible to sort it out.
3. These system more secure since
the code isn’t public – take time for
a cracker to break the system.
1. You cannot edit the code or make
customized changes to it.
2. Cost great amounts of money to
pay for the OS, the other
upgrades and also for all the
What is open source
Open source means the source code is
available (under a copyright license) to the
user means the source readability. The
user can modify and change it.
Everyone who knows enough programming
skills and is willing to read the source code,
can debug it. They will be debugged by a
much larger number of people because of
the source code is open.
No one is responsible for support if any
Advantages and Disadvantages
of open source system
1. Open source system is free to
use, free to distribute, and free to
2. It has lower costs than closed
3. Also usually the more secured as
the code is accessible to everyone.
4. Many people have access to the
code as there are a large number of
sources for support.
1. Open source operating system like
Linux cannot be learned in a day as
they require effort and possibly
training before you are able to
2. So many developments are going on
at the same time it is hard to keep
track of which version is the most up
3. There may also be less support
available for when things go wrong
open source system tends to rely on
its community of users to respond to
and fix problems.
• Source code contains variable
declarations, instructions, functions, loops
and other statement that tell the program
how to function.
• Code written by a programmer in a high-
level language and readable by people but
not for computer, so must be converted to
object code/machine language by compiler,
assembler or interpreter before a computer
can read and execute the program.
is an operating
by Microsoft that
provides an interface
known as Graphical
User Interface (GUI)
ADVANTAGES OF WINDOWS
1. Microsoft has made several advancements and
changes that have made it a much easier to use
Operating System, and although arguably it may not
be the easiest Operating System, it is still Easier
2. Because of the large amount of Microsoft Windows
users, there is a much larger selection of available
software programs, utilities, and games for
3. Microsoft Windows includes its own help section, has
vast amount of available online documentation and
help, as well as books on each of the versions of
1. Although Microsoft Windows has made great
improvements in reliability over the last few versions
of Windows, it still cannot match the reliability of
2. Although Microsoft has made great improvements
over the years with security on their Operating
System, their Operating System continues to be the
most vulnerable to viruses and other attacks.
3. Microsoft Windows is not open source and the
majority of Windows programs are not open
On mobile or tablet system
Apple's mobile operating
its iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Apple
TV and similar devices. iOS was
originally called the iPhone OS but
was renamed in 2010 to reflect
the operating system’s evolving
support for additional Apple
devices. Closed source, with open
Advantages of iOS
Performance is awesome
Generates less heat when compared to Android
Best gaming experience
Vast number of applications
Suits for business and gaming
Excellent for media entertainment
Quick settings in notification bar
Metal and shiny coating is ultimate for Apple devices
Many cases and covers makes it waterproof
Sapphire glass which is hard
Finger print scanning gives tough security
Excellent camera quality even though mega pixels are less
Disadvantages of iOS
Not flexible, only supports iOS devices
Not open source
The main disadvantages of using iOS is
costly Apps and no widget support
Devices are very pricey
Applications are very large when compared
to other mobile platforms
Supports only single SIM
Battery performance is very poor on 3G
It is the software on a
computer that enables
applications and the computer
operator to access the
devices on the computer to
perform desired functions..
ADVANTAGES OF LINUX
1. The majority of Linux variants are available for free or at
a much lower price than Microsoft Windows.
2. Linux is and has always been a very secure Operating
System. Although it still can be attacked when compared
to Windows, it much more secure.
3. The majority of Linux variants and versions are
notoriously reliable and can often run for months and
years without needing to be rebooted.
4. Many of the Linux variants and many Linux programs are
open source and enable users to customize or modify
the code as they choose.
DISADVANTAGES OF LINUX
1. Although the majority Linux variants have improved
dramatically in ease of use, Windows is still much
easier to use for new computer users.
2. Linux has a large variety of available software
programs, utilities, and games. However, Windows
has a much larger selection of available software.
3. Linux companies and hardware manufacturers have
made great advancements in hardware support for
Linux and today Linux will support most hardware
devices. However, many companies still do not offer
drivers or support for their hardware in Linux.
On mobile or tablet system
Android is an open
system with a Linux-
based platform for
mobile phones which is
developed by Google.
Advantages of Android
1. Multitasking – Android phones can run many applications, it
means you can browse, Facebook while listened to the song.
2. Ease of Notification – Any SMS, Email there will always be a
notification on the Home Screen Android phone, do not miss the
LED indicator is blinking, so you will not miss a single SMS,
Email or even Misscall .
3. Easy access to thousands of applications via the Google
Android App Market – When you love to install applications or
games, through Google’s Android App Market, you
can download applications for free. There are many thousands
of applications and games that are ready for download on
Android phones You.
4. Widget – with the widgets on the homescreen, You can easily
access a variety of settings quickly and easily.
Disadvantages of Android
- Application in the Android phones can indeed be obtained
easily and for free, but the consequences in each of
these applications, will always be ads on display, either
the top or bottom of the application
2. Wasteful Battery
- Android more wasteful than any other operating system,
because this operating system is a lot of "process" in
the background that lead to the battery quickly drains.
3. Many applications contain virus
- the virus inserted android applications contain virus which
also present in the Android Market.