3. 1. ________ A doctor who specializes in the
disorders of respiratory system
2. ________ alternative medicine practice where
needles are inserted in some specific of the body
3. ________ sale products that are not scientifically
proven to be effective; fraudulent advertisement
4. ________ Allied health professionals who
provides healthcare to patients in hospitals
5. ________ Healthcare practitioner who specializes
in the problems of the teeth
4. 6. Public health insurance
mandated by Philippine Law
7. Health maintenance
organization: form of healthcare
provider that makes use of
prepaid money to cover medical
6. A teenager once went to the local market to
buy materials for a science project. Upon
passing by some stalls , he was invited for a
free orientation on the latest product of a
company.The company was selling “ health
rings “ that can detect the mood of a person
and help lower body temperature and blood
pressure.The teenager was easily attracted,
which made him buy two health rings for
himself and his sister. He spent Php 600 for
Read the situation and answer the questions.
7. After a week, the teenager and his
sister developed red spots and
rashes on their fingers. Upon
checking, the rings are observed to
have rust around them.The
teenager wants to file a complaint
so the company may return his
8. 1. What is the nature of the teenager’s
2. Who can help him with his problem?
3. What rights protect the teenager?
4. What would you ask yourself before
buying a health product to avoid the
5. As a grade 10 student, how can you
help the teenager?
9. Read the questions .
Go around the classroom and
ask a classmate to answer
Record the responses on
Activity -1; SURVEY SAYS
10. a. What should I do when my head and body ache?
b. How many times should I take vitamin and
c. What is the best way to make my skin smooth?
d. When is the best time to trim my fingernails?
e. What is the most effective way to lose weight?
11. 1. Which of your classmates’ answers do you
agree with? Which do you disagree ? Why?
2. What kind of information being asked ? Is it
3. Who can accurately answer these
4. Write a one paragraph reflection about the
12. 1. HEALTH INFORMATION- It is the information
that people require to make wise decisions about
their health or health of other people.
THREE COMPONENTS OF
13. Read the health information below. Draw a cross on the GO column if it is
scientifically true or proven, and draw a cross on the STOP column if it is not.
Activity-2: STOP or GO
1. Warts are contagious.
2. Chocolates cause acne and pimples.
3. Cracking your knuckles causes arthritis
4. Healthy people who eat a balanced diet do not
5. Sleeping with wet hair causes mental disorders.
6. Jumping from the third step of the stairs on the
first day of menstruation reduces the number of
7. Circumcision is done for hygienic only.
8. Touching hands of people with HIV may infect
you with such.
9. Putting toothpaste on burns causes irritation.
10.Sleep need varies depending on the individual.
14. 1.What are other examples of
myths ( superstitions ) and
misconceptions that you hear in
2.Write them on your notebook
and search for a scientific proof
about to counter them?
THINK ABOUT IT!
15. These are foods, drugs ,cosmetics,
biologicals, vaccines, in-vitro
diagnostic reagents, households.
These may purchased from various
places like supermarkets,
pharmacies and hospitals.
2. HEALTH PRODUCTS
16. List five examples of health products that
people buy and consume.
ACTIVITY 3: MY SHOPPING LIST
17. AIMSTO :
1. Appraise the health conditions of individuals
through screening and examination
2. Cure and treat disorder
3. Prevent and control the spread of diseases
4. Provide safety
5. Emergency care and first aid
6. Insure a follow-up program for individuals who
have undergone treatments.
3. HEALTH SERVICES
30. Healthcare facilities
1) Hospitals- people undergo medical diagnosis, care and
Kinds of hospitals:
o Private- operated by individual to gain profit
o Voluntary- its own by the community or an organization
o Public- being run by the state and treatment fees are
Classification of hospitals:
o General hospital- have complete medical,surgical,and maternal
care facilities. Example are PGH,BGH,CGH, and DMC
o Specialty hospitals- handle a particular disease or condition.an
example are PHILIPPINE HEART CENTER, LUNG CENTER OF
THE PHILIPPINES, and NATIONAL KIDNEYTRANSPLANT
31. 2. Walk-in surgery Center- offers
surgery without the patient being
admitted in the hospitals.
3.Health center- cater to specific
4.Extented healthcare facility- provides
treatment, nursing care, and residential
services to patients.
32. protection that provides benefits for sickness or injury. It
1. Medical insurance- pays fees for health professionals,
2. Major medical insurance- offers payment for long-term
or chronic disease such as AIDS
3. Hospitalization insurance- pays for the stay of patient
inside the ospitals
4.Surgical insurance- pays surgery fees
5. Disability insurance- provides financing who meet