Elisha Attia Logtel Green Sustainable Mobile World
4G Mobile Broadband Internet Conference:
Green, Sustainable, Mobile, World
By Elisha Attia,
Partner at ICT Consultants
Tel Aviv, Israel
- What's the deal with today's global “Green” Protocol…
- Why moving towards a “Green” Mobile Industry…
- How the Industry adapts to this new “Green” era…
- Global Warming
Global Carbon footprint
“Undoubtedly, at the moment, the major cause of CO2 emission is what
happens in developed countries.” Chris Patten.
MtCO2e (Metric Tone Carbon Dioxide Equivalent)
Global Carbon telecoms
(devices and infrastructure)
ICT represent 2% of Global Impact
(Ref: Smart2020 Report)
“With regard to climate change, ICT is part of the solution,
and not the problem” Source: GeSI.org Progress Report.
Kyoto reductions target by 2012
- UNFCCC 1990 Kyoto Protocol - 160 Countries
United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change
- Voluntary Emissions Reduction
- Carbon Credit CAP System
- Carbon Trading - CDM Projects
- Saving the Rainforests
- Helping Emerging Countries
“For ICT market players, helping to reduce the
impact of climate change in a world where carbon
is priced will be a major business opportunity.”
Industry & Markets Growth
1/3 of the global population will own a PC (currently 1 in 50)
50% will own a mobile phone
1 in 20 households will have a broadband connection
Emerging Countries Growth – BRIC: 42% of the world population
Going toward a multi-pole world economics;
- USA: United States of America
- BRIC: Brazil, Russia India and China
- EMEA: Europe, Middle-East and Africa
Industry Active Measures
- Companies Public Commitment to reduce CO2 emissions:
- Sun Microsystems
- Telecom Italia
- Bell Canada
- British Telecom
- Cisco Systems
- Deutsche Telekom
- France Telecom
“MySpace switched to solid state storage using therefore less than
1% of the power and cooling costs that their previous hard drive-
based server infrastructure did.” Source: ComputerWorld Report.
Towards a Green ICT
To pave the way to make an environmental impact:
- Products Manufacturers (raw materials and chemicals)
WEEE – RoHS – IECQ – eWaste
ECCB.org – EIATRACK.org
- Products Legislations and Regulations
- Products Standardization
“In order to fully utilize the positive impact of ICT, reliable and capable high-speed
broadband networks are of the utmost importance” Source: GeSi
Based in Switzerland Ecoinvent has 1500 users in more than 40 countries, it is
the world's leading supplier for data, solutions and services in:
- Life Cycle Inventory (LCI): data on energy supply, resource extraction,
material supply, chemicals, metals, agriculture, waste management services and transport services.
- Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) For various eco-design tools for building and construction,
waste management or product design.
- Life Cycle Management (LCM)
- Integrated Product Policy (IPP)
- Environmental Product Declaration (EPD)
- Design for Environment (DfE).
81 Millions of desktop PCs produced in China in 2005
- Production: When these PCs are sold, they have
already consumed 54‘000 GWh of energy
- Use: When they are used under average conditions,
they consume 18‘000 GWh/YR
- End-of-Life: Material recycling can theoretically
save 20-25% of the production energy, mainly
by avoiding primary production of the metals
By 2020, financial analysts predict a carbon-
trading market valued at US$1 trillion a year.
Managing greenhouse gas certificate trading
effectively avoids penalties and costs, but
companies have the potential to do more.
By effectively managing certificates and
optimizing decisions around production, energy
usage, and external investments, companies
can capture potential revenues.
Global IT Report 2010
ICT is a powerful enabler of green behavior through
new business models aimed at reducing emissions
in almost any sector, notably in smart buildings,
smart grids, reduced travel, improved energy
efficiency, and so on.
This is the economic opportunity triangle. The best
of such working models secures a win-win-win
ecosystem among business-society-government.
Global IT Report 2010
Parece que tem um bloqueador de anúncios ativo. Ao listar o SlideShare no seu bloqueador de anúncios, está a apoiar a nossa comunidade de criadores de conteúdo.
Atualizámos a nossa política de privacidade.
Atualizámos a nossa política de privacidade de modo a estarmos em conformidade com os regulamentos de privacidade em constante mutação a nível mundial e para lhe fornecer uma visão sobre as formas limitadas de utilização dos seus dados.
Pode ler os detalhes abaixo. Ao aceitar, está a concordar com a política de privacidade atualizada.