13. CRITERIA SHODHANA SHAMANA BRIMHANA
PURPOSE Dosha Utklesha Vyadhi shamana Brimhana
FORM Accha sneha/
Accha sneha Vicharna sneha
DOSE Uttama Madhyam Alpa
TIME Morning Morning Any time with
METHOD Akshudhita Kshudhita -
DURATION Maximum 7 days Till vyadhi
14. Abhyantara Snehana is that kind of snehana therapy
which is used as a pre- operative procedure of
panchkarma, for prevention and treatment of disease.
• Accha Sneha
• Pravicharna Sneha
• Avapeedaka Sneha
15. Intake of only sneha (without mixing with any other
food) in large quantity.
Sneha is taken either in increasing order or fixed dose.
Sneha is taken in morning after digestion of previous
े वलो यः स्नेहो पीयते | (अ.ह्.सू – १६/१६)
16. Indications Contraindications
• Sneha satmya
• Klesh saha
• Nati sheet and Ushna kala
• Sneha dweshi
• Mridu koshtha
• Nitya Snehi
• Nitya Madya sevi
• Adhva, Prajagar, Stri Shranta
17. • Sneha Prakarsh Kala – maximum time taken for
snehana procedure .
• minimum 3 days to maximum 7 days (according to
Koshtha and Agnibala of patient).
• Krura Koshtha – 7 days
• Madhyam Koshtha – 4 to 6 days
• Mridu Koshtha – 3 days
(or upto appearance of Samyak Snigdha Lakshana.)
18. For 3 days For 7 days
1st day - 25 to 30 ml 1st day – 25 to 30 ml (test dose)
2nd day – 50 to 60 ml 2nd day – 50 to 60 ml
3rd day – 75 to 90 ml 3rd day – 75 to 90 ml
4th day – 100 to 120 ml
5th day - 120 to 150 ml
6th day - 140 to 170 ml
7th day - 160 to 200ml
19. • Sneha Dravya
• Warm water
• Saindhav Lavana
• Medicines for sneha vyapad
20. • Atura Pariksha:
a. To assess the Snehana Yogyata of subject.
b. To assess Dosha.
c. To assess the type and dosage of Snehapana.
d. Dashvidha Pariksha.
26. • The mode of administration of Sneha.
• Observation of Sneha Jiryamana and Jirna
• Observation of Snigdha, Asnigdha and Ati-
• Sneha Vyapad and their Management.
27. • Decide the Sneha to be administered based on
examination and disease of patient.
• Fix the dose of sneha according to vaya, prakriti, dosha,
• Sneha should be administered within 15 – 30 minutes of
• Patient should be seated in comfortable position and
sneha is given in empty stomach.
28. • Then patient is given anupana according to
• Ushnodaka is given as Anupana for most sneha ,
yusha for taila and Manda for Vasa and Majja.
• Observe for Sneha Jiryamana and Jeerna
29. • Ask patient to wash face and mouth with hot
water to remove the taste of sneha.
• The dose for next day is decided by assessing the
time taken for digestion of sneha.
40. • Ask patient to take rest but avoid day sleep.
• Lemon can be given to smell to avoid nausea.
• Warm water is given to drink if thirst occurs.
• Avoid driving, contact with direct air.
• Avoid fan, A.C, coolers.
• Avoid excess work and exertion.
44. • Administration of Sneha to achieve Snehana
instantly or within shorter duration.
• It brings Snigdha lakshana quickly on the day of
• Lakshana can appear from 1 to 3 days.
45. • Pippali, Saindhava, ghrita and tila pishta.
• Ghrita, sugar and Cow’s milk – (ruksha person)
• Krishara along with Sneha and phanita.
• Ghrita processed with curd, vyosha, amalki and draksha.
• Sneha with decoction of triphala.
• Intake of yavagu of rice cooked in milk and added with
46. • The sneha given at the middle of the meal, gets
pidana by food.
• Virddha vagbhata told that Avapidaka sneha
should be given in Yojana dvaya i.e.
अन्नावपीडितं च मध्यभोजनपीतं घृतं भवतत |
(चक्र. च.चच – १५/२०९)
47. 1. Before food (Pragbhakta Sneha) in Hrisva
2. After digestion (Jirnantiki Sneha) in Uttama
• It is included in Shaman Sneha.
51. Snigdha and Mridu Guna of Sneha
Assessed by Gatra
52. Malasang is caused due to rukshata in
Snigdha guna overcomes this rukshta
Sneha increases Apyamsa (watery
content) in body
It dissolves the mala and morbid doshas
resulting in Klinata and Utklesha.
53. • In vataj disorders, ghrita mixed with lavana is given.
• In pittaj disorders, kevala ghrita is given
• In bahu kapha, ghrita should be combined with
trikatu and yavakshara.
• In mandagni and krura koshtha, ghrita is
administered with kshara and lavana.
54. • Agni and Koshtha should be assessed prior to
administration of sneha.
• Deepana and Pachana should be done to attain
• Rukshana should be done in mamsala, medura and
bahu kapha, vishamgni and sneha satmya before
• Haritaki can be used as rukshana drug.
55. • In patients with mridu koshtha and avara agni
test dose should be less.
• Investigation of lipid profile before and after
treatment in patients having hyperlipidemia,
CAD, and who are prone to hyperlipidemia.