Provide nutritious food and fodder.
Less water consuming than other cereals.
Grows faster & putting less stress on environment.
No pests and diseases problem.
Can grow in even marginal lands.
Complete Food and Nutritional Security.
Will supplement the existing income of the farmers.
Why Millets Production is Beneficial?
Potential of production
• Per acre productivity of Ragi is 14-16 quintal
(varies with input application).
• Every farmer cultivates Ragi for family
• Farmer understands that Ragi and Porso
millet contain high amount of nutrient and
gives muscle strength.
Value chain ofFinger Millet
(local) g and
en (Local &
Rs 31 per kg
•Lack of knowledge of nutrition and recipe preparation
•Inadequate knowledge and technology for processing
• Irregular supply of grains (quality and quantity)
• Lack of involvement of private sectors
• Inadequate market outlets
•Lack of Knowledge of value and marketing of crop
•Lacking price negotiationcapacity
Rs 120 to Rs 200 per kg
Value chain players
S.NO. Value Chain Players Remarks
1 Seed Supplier Seeds are not available in market but
when Ragi are sold as seed it cost
higher in market
2 Grain Producer Rate are decided by local mandi
3 Harvester Family labour are used for
It depends on location
5 Handling and
Constraint in production
• Less emphasis on cultivation.
• Cultivated only for family consumption.
• Farmers are following the traditional method of
agronomic package & practices.
• Non availability of desire variety.
• Grown in discarded land/ infertile land.
• There is no mechanical milling system
available in the local market for
• High nutritional value (rich in
Iron, Calcium, and Phosphorus)
• Medicinal value (diabetic
patient lactating women)
• Organically grown
• Less attractive and coarse food
• Traditional food itemsonly
• Product diversification
• Potential for marketing
• Non-interest of young and
urban people on millet
• Low priority for research and
development by formalsectors
• Changing food habit
Introduction of all millets under PDS scheme, which will
create huge demand. This will give a boost to the
production of all the millets and consequently, it will
add to the existing income of the farmers.
Assured procurement support with competitive prices
to encourage diversification of areas
Implementation of “Sub-Mission on Nutri-Cereals” for
providing financial assistance to Nutri-Cereals growing
states to enhance production and productivity.
Preparation of Roadmap for five year and Celebration
of 2018 as year of Nutri-Cereals