O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a navegar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nosso Contrato do Usuário e nossa Política de Privacidade.
O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a utilizar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nossa Política de Privacidade e nosso Contrato do Usuário para obter mais detalhes.
Deepak A S
What is 3D Printing?
3D printing is a process of making a three-dimensional solid
object of virtually any shape from a digital model.
Also known as Additive Manufacturing or Rapid Prototyping.
It is an additive process where materials are laid down as layer
by layer in different shapes of thickness ranging from
0.0254mm to 1mm to make 3D objects.
This technology uses a 3D Printing machine connected to a
computer containing digital image/data of the object (to be
printed) for the printing purpose.
1984-The technology for printing physical 3D objects from digital
data(Stereo lithography) was first developed by Charles Hull.
1986 - Charles Hull founded 3D Systems and developed the first
commercial 3D Printing machine, it was called as Stereolithography
1988 - Scott Crump invented Fused Deposition Modeling (FDM).
1993 - Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) patented "3
Dimensional Printing techniques".
How 3D Printing Works?
3D IMAGE(USING CAD
3D PRINTING SOFTWARE
FINISHED 3D MODEL
Types of Printing
Stereolithography: It is an additive manufacturing process using
liquid UV-curable photopolymer “resin” and a UV laser to build parts
a layer at a time.
Fused deposition modeling (FDM): It is an additive manufacturing
which uses hot semi-liquid extrude directly to print objects.
Laminated object manufacturing(LOM) : In this, layers of adhesive-
coated paper, plastic or metal laminates are successively glued
together and cut to shape with a knife or laser cutter.
Selective laser sintering (SLS): an additive manufacturing technique
that uses a high power laser (eg:-, CO2 laser) to fuse small particles
of plastic, metal , ceramic or glass powders into a mass that has a
desired 3-dimensional shape.
• Architecture, engineering and construction (AEC)
• Automotive & Aerospace industry
• Archeology & Paleontology
• Health care ,Bioprinting , Medical implants
• Entertainment & Fashion
• Arts & Historic preservation
• Concept and functional prototypes
• Tools & Parts
• Food & Packaging
• Furniture &Interior
• Jewellery & Foot ware
• No need of cutting, turning, grinding and drilling etc.
• Reduced material wastage.
• Saves time & cost.
• High surface finish ,precision, quality & strength.
• Physical objects of any shape , dimension & complex
structure can be made.
• No skilled operator is required.
• Auto parts: parts of "Formula 1" car engines, are made by
direct laser sintering of metal.
• Aircraft parts: F-18 (fighter aircraft) tube for the control
• Research on printing human organs.
• 3D Printer Transforms Moon Dirt(Regolith)Into Lunar Base: ESA
• Using 3-D Printing Tech, British Airbus Engineers Aim to Print Out an
Entire Aircraft Wing.
• Merlin Project:Rolls Royce is going to 3D print aircraft engine parts.
• Food printer: MIT project to print food recipe’s using food cartridges.
• 3D Concrete Printing: A one tone reinforced concrete architectural
piece has been produced using this.
Urbee: 1st entirely 3D
A 3DP Nylon bicycle
Replica of face
3D Printed Audi car
SULSA:1st 3D Printed RC plane
3D Printed replica of Aston Martin car destructed
in Bond movie “Skyfall”.
Brain gear model
Giant 3-D Printer to Make An
Entire House in 20 Hours.
1.5 ton 3D printed lunar
block A medical implant
A 3D Printed Pipe
A 3D Printed lunar base on imagination
A 3D Printed metal part
3DP human skull
A 3D Printed molecular
structure of an enzyme3D Printed landscape
3d Concrete Printed Block
3DP leg implant
3DP Titanium implant on skull
3D printed chair
3D Printed piston engine
3DP cell phone case
3d Printed dental model
3D Printed statue
3DPrinting is an advanced manufacturing process used to
built physical objects from digital images.
3D Printing is highly efficient , reliable , time saving &
3D Printing has applications in wide variety of fields.
It is an emerging technology which has scopes for new