2. Learning about gout may help you to prevent yourself from such problems. You can learn how to reduce flare ups as well as how to get them to go away fast.
3. Gout occurs when uric acid crystals form in the joint areas. As a result the joint becomes stiff and inflamed. This makes it very painful due to the swelling and pressure around the joint area.
4. This is a form of arthritis and it can affect people when they are very young. Most forms of arthritis don’t occur until a person is much older.
5. While you can get gout in any joints of the body there are some which are more common than others. Typically gout will only affect one side of the body at a time.
6. The common joint regions include the big toe, the ankle, and the elbow. For some people the gout remains in one side of the body each time.
7. For others the problem seems to alternate sides. It usually strikes at night time too and experts believe this is due to the lower temperature of the body.
8. There are two types of gout that a person can have. Chronic gout means that the person has a persistent problem with it. While it is painful the level of pain is typically low.
9. With acute gout a person can have a flare up out of the blue. They may be fine for weeks, months, or even years and then it suddenly strikes.
10. The pain will be very severe and it can be difficult to sleep, to work, and to walk if the gout area is along the ankle or the toe. With acute gout the pain seems to get worse with each episode.
11. When you learn about gout you will find that there are many reasons for it. Some people are prone to gout due to genetics.
12. Others suffer from gout due to being overweight, having a poor diet, or even as a side effect of other medications that they take for various health problems.
13. Individuals who consume large amounts of alcohol are also at a higher risk. When a person has gout they may have a fever and they may feel very fatigued.
14. It can be hard to rest when you are in such pain so getting sleep is tough. A person may have to miss several days of work due to the problem depending on the type of job that they do.
15. If you don’t know much about gout, you may not think about it being something severe enough to keep people from work, but it is. You will find plenty of information out there about gout.
16. However, you will also find that not all of it is correct. You want to ensure you are looking at credible resources so you can get the right information.
17. Keep in mind that the problem can affect people differently in terms of the frequency, the severity, and the location. Therefore you need to customize a plan of action that works best for your own body.
18. As you learn about gout you will find that there are natural treatments as well as prescription medications. It is in your best interest to always try to prevent gout through natural means.
19. Change your diet, lose extra pounds, and stop drinking alcohol for a start. You will feel much better and it can mean the difference between dealing with gout often or not.