Technologies in the Film
and TV Industries
• This means any product for sale to a consumer for personal use in a
household or residence. The use of technology in homes has
increased exceedingly over the years due to the development of
cheaper production in electronics.
• Consumer products are sold through all sorts of different retailers and
outlets such as Ebay, and can consist of items such as phones,
cameras and TV equipment/accessories.
Satellite and Cable
• Satellite television broadcast uses a satellite to relay signals to
appropriately equipped customers in a certain area. Satellite TV is a
system of delivering television programming using signals relayed
from communication satellites. The signals are received via an
outdoor parabolic reflector antenna usually referred to as a dish and a
low-noise block downconverter. (LNB)
• Whereas a cable is a system in which TV programmes are transmitted
to the sets of subscribers by cable rather than by broadcast signal,
signals are transmitted through coaxial cables or light pulses through
• There previously was two types of TV in the UK, digital and analogue.
Analogue television uses analog signals as a method of distributing
media. Each channel that is added weakens the signals as it splits it
with each channel added. This only ever supported 5 channels: BBC1,
BBC2, ITV1, Channel 4 and 5.
• Digital television is the transmission of audio and video by digitally
processed and multiplexed signal. Digital TV can support more than
one programme in the same channel bandwidth allowing there to be
more channels and have higher quality. This is still presently in use, it
supports hundreds of channels such as Film4.
• By 2012, analogue was turned off in the ‘digital switchover’ which
resulted in every home being digital.
• The internet is a huge factor in every day life and in the consumption
of media throughout the world. Media is consumed legally which is a
common route for many people who stream their shows on BBC
iPlayer and Netflix. These are majorly popular sites, as their prices are
low or free in BBC Iplayers case.
• Illegal websites are also very popular for both distributing illegal Tv
shows or movies but, also music. Sites such as, Movietube and
Mp3Clan, there are many illegal sites that are facing law suits and
• The internet has an very high level of interactivity with what is
happening everyday. This can be accessed on television also, by using
• Previously you would have to use teletext which was a system that
allowed users to browse info on their televisions. Although now
interactive services on the TV still exist, now in a different form. A lot
of channels encourage viewers to use their red button to access said
HD (High Definition)
• High definition comes in 3 forms: 720p which is the lowest form,
1080p and 4k. At this moment, the most widespread of these is
1080p, although 4k Televisions are available but due to the expense is
less likely to be brought.
• The launch of high definition channels show that HD television is
becoming increasingly popular and is higher on demand.
• When it came to watching a varied amount of media forms in three dimensions, we the viewer
are required to wear glasses (anaglyph 3D, they are often a red and blue to view the content). A
discomfort and hassle for us, however 3D created a big comeback around 2003, when James
Cameron had a bespoke camera built which was also capable of shooting 3D.
• In 2009, Avatar came out and the film used, ‘realD 3D’ which was a form of digital stereoscopic
3D. It is projected smoother than the anaglyph 3D.
• Now, there are large developments in 3D TV’s and channels, yet are still being developed further,
so we will be able to watch 3D in the comfort of our own home.
• Pay per view is a very popular style of television service used by many
different channels. This means that if you want to watch a certain
show you have to pay a small fee, an example would be Sky movies in
which you rent them to watch.
• On demand viewing Is a method of delivering media content to
viewers. This allows viewers to access what they want and any time,
it’s a fast and easy process. Much like BBC’s on demand service – BBC
iPlayer or Sky on demand, however there is usually a limited time to
• A recent development in delivering media to the masses is the
streaming of content. Streaming is where content is viewed on the
internet without having to download a file. These are your sites like
Netflix, where they stream their content through On demand
• The final development in media is the use of digital recorders such as
Sky+, where you can record TV shows and schedule recordings; which
saves the content for future viewing. This allows people to view what
they want, when they want, it benefits the viewers and keeps it
convenient for them.
Parece que tem um bloqueador de anúncios ativo. Ao listar o SlideShare no seu bloqueador de anúncios, está a apoiar a nossa comunidade de criadores de conteúdo.
Atualizámos a nossa política de privacidade.
Atualizámos a nossa política de privacidade de modo a estarmos em conformidade com os regulamentos de privacidade em constante mutação a nível mundial e para lhe fornecer uma visão sobre as formas limitadas de utilização dos seus dados.
Pode ler os detalhes abaixo. Ao aceitar, está a concordar com a política de privacidade atualizada.