What is natural gas?
• Natural gas is composed of hydrocarbons (combinations
of hydrogen and carbon).
• 89-93% methane gas, the lightest hydrocarbon.
• Plus other gases such as ethane, propane, butane, and
non-flammable gases such as nitrogen and carbon
Fig:Formation of natural gas.
Properties of natural gas.
Natural gas is 96% Methane gas – CH4
Also contains small percentages of:
• Ethane -2.1%
• Propane <1%
• Butane <1%
• Pentan <1%
• Hexane <1%
• Heptane <1%
Fig:Properties of natural gas.
Where is natural gas found?
• In some places, natural gas moved into
large cracks and spaces between layers of
• The natural gas found in these types of
formations is sometimes called
conventional natural gas.
Fig:Schematic geology of natural gas resources.
Some memoriable photograps about first gas lifting period.
Fig:William Hart“father of
Fig:Early facilities were no more than a wooden cabin, like this oil
well and pipeline built in 1859 in Pennsylvania by Edwin Drake.
Fig: In 1821 digging the first successful natural
gas line. It was only 27 feet deep..
Fig:The site of the first gass well in the U.S.
• In 1626 by Frences explorers who notice that
the native American igniting gas,that seeped
from lake erie.
• Around 1785 the first commercialized natural
gas occurred at Baltimore,Maryland city in
Fig:Baltimore,Maryland city in
• In 1885 Robert Bunsen’s invention of what
is now known as the Bunsen burner opened
bast new opportunities to use natural
gas.And that the natural gas used almost
exclusively as a source of light.
Application of Natural Gas in Bangladesh.
i. Electric power generation,
iii. Residences and
Were the major natural gas consuming sectors in
Bangladesh during calendar year 2021.
Fig: % of natural gas use 2019
i. Power Sector.
The electric power sector uses natural gas to
generate electricity and produce useful thermal
energy to maintain-
• Steam turbines
• Gas turbines.
ii. Industrial Application.
The industrial sector uses natural gas-
• Fuel for Manufacturing process and process
• Heat and power systems,
• Produce chemicals,
• Fibers and plastics etc.
iv. Commercial Applicatin.
The commercial sector uses natural gas to-
• Heat buildings and water,
• To operate refrigeration and cooling equipment,
• To cook,
• To dry clothes, and
• To provide outdoor lighting.
Now a days natural gas environmental effect is a
debating topic for scientist.Let’s talk about it.
• Five environmental benefites of natural gas.
i. Natural gas is the cleanest fossil fuel,for that less
ii. Because of simple chemical composition of natural gas
there are less pollution.
iii. Natural gas produces less chemicals than oil and coal.
iv. Natural gas is use as clean energy source.
v. Approximately 90% of natural gas converted for energy,so
that natural gas produce less waste.
Fig:Benefites of natural gas
How does natural gas affect the environment?
• Natural gas environmental impact is based on 3 pillars:
i. Drilling and extraction.
iii. Burning and consumption.
Fig:Natural gas extraction.
Natural gas environmental benefits.
• Statistics prove that there are many benefits of
• We can see here natural gas produce less
amount af CO2,compared another fuel.
Fig:Statistics about CO2 produce (kg/kWh)
Every fossil fuel extraction is bad for the environment but it increases our
• But the question “Is natural gas the most eco-friendly fossil fuel?”
The answer is “yes”.
Fig:Natural Gas & The Environmental Information.
We also seen-
• Natural gas emits 52-
56%less greenhouse than
• Only 2% responsible for
• From 1990 in the U.S.
natural gas production
greenhouse gas decrease
Fig:Some information about natural gas.