1. CATCH US IF YOU CAN
ENGLISH NOVEL (FORM 5 & FORM 4)
BY: NUR AINA SHUKRI
2. Catch us if you
3. It is story of a devoted grandson and loving grandfather.
There is adventure and thrilling chase and escape which bring about many interesting moments
for both major characters. A separation that is extremely difficult for both of them.
Rory and his grandfather have looked after each other since Rory’s dad walked out on them. The
authorities decide to separate them.
Rory comes up with an escape plan. But their path of escape is not easy. Their journey is full of
His Granda however is very frail and needs a lot of medication.
On the way they meet a lot of people. These people have actually helped them in their venture.
In the end, Rory has to end the venture, but not by being caught, he actually had to find help for
his Granda, whose heart had stopped.
Rory had been hoping that his father who had abandoned the family would reach out and help.
The story ends on a happy note when Rory’s dad gets in touch with him.
5. • Rory’s grandfather
• Known as Mister McIntosh
• He is elderly and partially senile with a tendency to forget what he is doing
• He loves his grandson dearly and cannot bear the thought of being separated
• delightfully funny
• able to surprise the reader in some instances
• He is a young boy, still in school who is dedicated to taking care of his aging
• Shows determination and courage even in desperate situations
• Mature, he understands why his grandfather refuses to meet his own father.
• He has a rich inner life and capable of growing and changing
• He has managed by adapting to every new situation with hope and optimism
6. • He is Rory’s father.
• He comes back home to
be with his father and
• Darren is Rory’s best friend
• Helps him to stay in the
• She is Rory’s teacher who
is keenly aware of his
inability to pass up his
• She is very concerned when
Granda is admitted into the
• She is a young and eager
• She is also very responsible.
• Arranges for Rory to stay
at the children’s home in
7. Family and relationships
There is a journey of love and protection between a grandfather and his grandson. Love,
compression and family relationships are portrayed through their actions. Granda and Rory love
each other and that guides all their actions. Granda loves his son, Jeff but feels let down by what
happened years ago. He loves Rory’s mother dearly too. Granda looked after Rory before and now
Rory wants to look after his Granda. That is family love.
Social and civic responsibilities
How society tries to intervene and help those who they think are unfairly treated or who they
think deserve a better treatment. The novel emphasizes the importance of social responsibility.
Doctor Nicol, the teacher, Mrs. Foley, Darren’s mum and Val Jessup feel that Rory need help at
home and that he should be enjoying his boyhood and not be burdened with the responsibility of
looking after an ageing and ailing grandfather. The police officials and the nurses are seen as kind
and compassionate. The inmates at the children’s home too care about what is happening to Rory
and want to help him. Members of the public believe strongly that the two should not be
separated and voice their opinion on television. The great escape would not be possible without
the support and help of the public. Thus society has a great role to play in molding people to be
what they are.
Family relationships and bonds must be appreciated and
maintained. There must be compassion and kindness.
Communication is an important feature among friends and
family members. It results in the loving and caring attitude
Trust is a vital component in bridging generations. We must
not be judgmental as appearances may not be what they seem
9. The novel is a sort of love story, about the love between generations: it
shows a young boy realizing that someone he loves deeply may die. It
also challenges assumptions and stereotypes: those we should trust
sometimes let us down; those we might not trust sometimes prove to be