2. Country Profile
• Capital : Washington, DC
• Population : 316 million
• Area : 9.8 million sq km (3.8 million sq miles)
• Major language : English
• Major religion : Christianity
• Life expectancy : 76 years (men), 81 years (women)
• Currency : US dollar
• The oldest Democracy in the world
• The USA is the second largest democracy in the world
• Federal system: National Government & states
• National government: Legislative, Executive & Judicial. Congress (they write U.S.
Federal Law) Executive Branch (Headed by president) Judicial Branch (U.S. Supreme
• 50 States in total, 48 locked within continental united states. Other are Hawaii and
• The president is the head of the country and is elected for a four year term
4. • Stable political climate
• Influence over the political dynamics of many counties around the world
• Great destination for Foreign Direct Investment (FDI)
• Corruption Perception Index ranked 16th
• The largest economy in the world with the GDP of 18.57 trillion USD
• The economic system is well developed and gathers its strength from its service and
• The recession in 2009 adversely affected the economy of the country and
unemployment rates soared to an alarming point
• But the economy bounced back with a growth of around 4% in the third quarter of
2014 as consumers and business have stepped up spending
• Reduction in unemployment
• Non availability of cheap labor
• The overall system of taxation in the United States is progressive.
• Not only do those with higher incomes pay more in total taxes, they pay a
higher rate of taxes.
• The highest total sales tax rate in the U.S. is 13.725 percent
• All income subject to tax at 34% to 35% where taxable income exceeds
• The average American will pay 19.8% of their income in federal taxes.
7. Labor Laws
• Minimum wage
• Health Coverage
• Workplace safety
• Social security
• Unemployment Benefits
• America is the third most populous country in the world
• Like most developed countries, US face the problem of an aging population which
can lead to a serious labor shortage.
• The education and healthcare system is one of the best in the world.
• Majority of the population has a liberal mind set, but rising racial intolerance is a
• Increasing illegal immigration is another concern.
• America is a diverse country.
• Home to one third of the world’s scientists and engineers and accounts for
one third of global R&D expenditure.
• Technological innovation within the private and educational sector has been
• The government’s R&D is focused on defense (58.3% of its R &D budget)
• Rising pharmaceutical market.
• Significant development in emerging technologies.
• Extremely diverse geography, climate, and wildlife.
• Major tourist place
• The country sustained 218 weather and climate disasters since 1980.
• In 2017 alone, there have been 15 weather and climate disasters with losses
exceeding $1 billion each across the United States.
• It is possible to incorporate a company online for US$100
• There is also various locations in the US, where incorporating can be done
quickly, easily and cheaply through a law firm on your behalf.
12. Business Regulatory Bodies
• US Customs and Border Protection
• Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
• US Department of Agriculture (USDA)
• Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC)
• Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
13. Restriction on Foreign Investment
• There are no substantial restrictions imposed by the federal government on
foreign investment in the United States.
• A few industries are subject to restrictions-these include the exploitation of
certain natural resources, communication, shipping, nuclear and other power-
generating facilities and aviation.
• Some states have restricted certain foreign investment in certain cases such as
in agricultural land.
14. Consumer Protection
• Federal and state laws protect the interest of consumers.
• Also important to consider are federal agencies with regulations for specific
• The pertinent areas of consumer protection in the united states include
consumer product safety, food and drug safety, product labeling, product
liability, motor vehicle safety, and consumer credit safeguards.