Leadership style is the manner and approach of providing
direction, implementing plans and motivating people.
It can be defined as how a person plays a role. If we go
further, how he reacts, how he decides, how he interacts
and how he treats other people .
a) LEADERS MOTIVATES PEOPLE
b) LEADER COUNSELS EMPLOYEES
c) LEADER DEVELOPS TEAN SPIRIT
d) LEADERS AIMS AT TIME MANAGEMENT
e) LEADER STRIVES FOR EFFECTIVENESS
7. FUNCTIONS OF LEADERSHIP
External group representative
Controller of internal relation
11. The word AUTOCRAT suggests “
being dictatorial’’ In this style of
leadership, a leader has complete
command and hold over their
12. The team cannot put forward their views even if they are
best for the team or organizational interests.
They cannot question their leaders way of getting things
done. Here leader makes decision without reference to
The leaders are highly dictatorial and have little trust in
13. • Manager retains power (classical approach) .
• Manager is decision-making authority .
• Manager does not consult employees for input .
• Subordinates expected to obey orders without explanations
• Motivation provided through structured rewards and
Provides strong motivation and reward for the leader.
Ensures quick decision making.
No conflicts and disagreements.
Less competent employees can be employed because they
just need to execute the things.
No deviation in the workplace.
15. People generally dislike this kind of leadership.
Employee do not have the right to express his/her
Climate of fear.
Creative ideas cannot be put to use.
17. • This type of leadership is very essential in todays business
• It creates and maintains healthy relationship between the
members and the leader.
• Probably the best style of leadership that allows employees
to give suggestions and take crucial decisions.
18. • Leader acts as a guider and mentor to the employees in achieving
the organizational goal.
• Often referred to as participative style .
• Keeps employees informed .
• Shares decision making and problem solving responsibilities .
• Gathers information from staff members before making decisions
19. • Help employees evaluate their own performance .
• Allows employees to establish goals .
• Encourages employees to grow on the job and be promoted .
• Recognizes and encourages achievement .
• Can produce high quality and high quantity work for long
periods of time .
20. CHARACTERISTIC OF THE LEADER
Sense of equality among leader and followers
Open system of communication prevails
Interaction between the leader and group is friendly and
Leader works through people not by domination but by
suggestions and persuasions .
21. Better decisions, employee motivation .
It improves the job satisfaction and morale of subordinate
The leader multiply his abilities through the contribution of
It develops positive attitudes and reduces resistance to
22. • Delayed decision, long consultation
• This style may not yield positive result when interaction of
subordinate with leader is minimum.
• This style need tremendous communicating and persuasive
skills on the part of leader.
24. • Manager manages “by the book”
• Everything must be done according to procedure or policy .
• If it isn’t covered by the book, the manager refers to the next
level above him or her .
• Police officer more than leader
25. When to use Bureaucratic
• Performing routine tasks
• Need for standards/procedures
• Use of dangerous or delicate equipment
• Safety or security training being conducted
26. CHARACTERISTIC OF THE LEADER
1. It is a personal quality of character and behavior in man which
enables him to exert internal personal influence.
2. It is concerned with the lying down group objectives and polices
for the followers, motivating them coordinating their efforts to
accomplish the objectives.
3. It pre – supposes the existence of a group followers.
27. 4. Its style may differ from situation to situation.
5. It is the ability to study others and motivate them to work for
accomplishing certain objectives.
6. It is process of influencing exercised by leader on members of
7. It involves an unequal distribution of authority among leaders
29. A leadership style where employees are encouraged to make
their own decisions within limits .
• Also known as the “hands-off¨ style .
• Little or no direction .
• Gives followers as much freedom as possible .
• All authority or power is given to the followers .
• Followers must determine goals, make decisions, and resolve
problems on their own .
30. CHARACTERISTIC FEATURES
Encourages independent activity by the group member .
Group members are three to set their own goals determine
their own activities and allowed to do almost what they
desire to do .
Style effective in highly motivating
professional growth .
• More freedom for employees .
• Positive effect on job satisfaction and morale of subordinates
• Maximum possible scope for development of subordinates .
• Full utilization of potential of subordinates .
• Few guidelines, little incentive, poor motivation, maybe a
• Subordinate do not get the guidance and support of the leader
• It ignores the leader contribution just as Autocratic style ignores
the contribution of the subordinates .
• Subordinates may move in different directions and may work at
cross purpose which may degenrate into chaos .
34. The leadership skills approach takes into account the
knowledge and abilities that the leader has . A leader can
learn certain skills and turn himself into a remarkable one .
Vati jogindra , principles and practice of nursing management
and administration , Jaypee brothers medical publishers , 2nd
edition , page no - 54 .
K. Deepak , C. Sarath Chandran , B.P. Mithun kumar , A
comprehensive Text book on nursing management , EMMESS
Medical Publishers , Page no - 438-442 .