3. About Nalanda University ::
• Nalanda university was an ancient center of learning in India.
• Established in 5th century by kumargupta – I .
• Nalanda university is located at nalanda in Bihar .
• Nalanda university is first residential university in the world with capacity
of 10,000 students and 2,000 professors.
• It had temples,meditation halls,classrooms and huge library.
• Nalanda university not only attracted the students from india but also
from korea,japan,china and many other countries.
4. The Concept behind the Nalanda University Logo
The Logo Illustrates The Central Idea Of Nalanda, As Articulated In “The
Nalanda Way” – “Man Living In Harmony With Man, Man Living In Harmony
With Nature, And Man Living As Part Of Nature”.
•Man living in harmony with a man will be advanced in part through the
study of the humanities.
•Man living in harmony with nature recognizes the importance of studying
and furthering the sciences.
•Man living as part of nature is predicated on creating a community that
harmonizes with its local environment.
5. Subjects taught ::
and many nastik and astik subjects were taught in nalanda university .
6. Library of nalanda university :
• Library of nalanda university was separated into three buildings i.e.
ratnasagar , rantndadhi and ratnranjak .
• Library had collection of books related to religious, literature, astrology,
astronomy and medicine .
• There was almost hundred thousands of books are available in library .
• Library of nalanda is destroyed in 1197 , the library is set to the fire by
Bakhtiyar Khilji .
• The great library of nalanda is so vast that it burned for three months
and 9 million books were burned .
7. • University is destroyed three times by kings at that times and also re-
built twice by king Harshavardhan .
• But real destruction of nalanda university is done by Mohammad
Bakhtiyar Khilji in 1197 .
• Buddhish monks and students from nalanda were burned alive by
khilji and his army .
Destruction of Nalanda University ::
8. University resumes after 800 years ::
• 800 years after the destruction of nalanda university , president A.P.J
Abdul Kalam address the idea of restarting the university to bihar
• New university is started at Rajgir in Bihar , which is about 10 -12 KM
away from original location of old university.
• University began its first academic session on September 2014 with
15 students .