O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a navegar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nosso Contrato do Usuário e nossa Política de Privacidade.
O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a utilizar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nossa Política de Privacidade e nosso Contrato do Usuário para obter mais detalhes.
• The European Union is a group of countries whosegovernments work together.• Its a little like a club. To join you have to agree to follow therules and in return you get certain benefits (beneficios).• Each country has to pay money to be a member. They mostlypay through taxes (impuestos).• Countries join the EU because they think the EU will helpthem.
• What is bigger (has more land) – the United States or theEuropean Union?
The area of the EU compared to the restof the worldSurface area, 1 000 km²EU China Japan Russia United States16 8899327 91594234365India3287
• Which has more people – the United States or the EuropeanUnion?
EU population in the worldPopulation in millions, 20115021354127 143318EU China Japan Russia United States1215India
The EU symbolsThe European flagThe European anthemEurope Day, 9 MayThe motto: United in diversityThere are twelvestars on the EUflag.
Government• The European Parliament is in Strasbourg• The Council of Ministers and the European Court are inLuxembourgThe European Union:500 million people – 27 countriesMember states of the European UnionCandidate and potential candidatecountries
• How many countries are part of the European Union?• 27 countries• How many countries use the Euro?• 17• What is the biggest member state?• Land: France (Spain is the second biggest)• Population: Germany (Spain is the fifthbiggest)• What is the smallest member state?• Land: Malta• Population: Malta• How many official and working languages are there?• Twenty-three
How big are the EU countries?Surface area in 1 000 km²FranceSpainSwedenGermanyPolandFinlandItalyUnitedKingdomRomaniaGreeceBulgariaHungaryPortugalAustriaCzechRepublicIrelandLithuaniaLatviaSlovakiaEstoniaDenmarkNetherlandsBelgiumSloveniaCyprusLuxemburgMalta54450641035731330529524423013111193928377686362494343343020930.3
How many people live in the EU?Population in millions, 2011502 million total81.765.062.460.622.214.171.1246.611.310.610.910.59.99.48.126.96.36.199.188.8.131.52.01.30.80.50.4FranceSpainSwedenPolandFinlandItalyUnitedKingdomRomaniaGreeceBulgariaHungaryPortugalAustriaCzechRepublicIrelandLithuaniaLatviaSlovakiaEstoniaDenmarkNetherlandsBelgiumSloveniaCyprusLuxemburgMaltaGermany
• The EU began in 1957 when six countries signed Treatyof Rome. The six countries were called the EuropeanEconomic Community.• The first six countries were Belgium, France, Italy,Luxembourg the Netherlands and West Germany.• The EU was created after World War II. They wanted to stopwars, make a better world and build community.• Spain joined the EU in 1986.• On July 1, 2013, Croatia will join the EU. It will be the twenty-eighth country to join the EU.
• The European Parliament is usually in Strasbourg, butsometimes in Luxembourg.• The Council of the European Union (“The Council”) is inBrussels• The European Commission is in Brussels too.The Council represents governments, the Parliament representscitizens and the Commission represents the Europeancommunity.
• 1. Economic and social progress.Help people earnenough money and get treated fairly.• 2. Speak for the European Union internationallyByworking as a group the EU hopes that Europe will belistened to more by other countries.• 3. European citizenship Anyone from a membercountry is a citizen of the EU. Because you are acitizen of the EU, you have rights.• 4. Make Europe an area of freedom, security andjustice.Help Europeans to live in safety, without thefear of war.• 5. Make and keep EU lawsMaking laws protectpeoples’ rights in the EU countries.
• What do you remember? Answer the questions correctly to winpoints!• You have 1 minute to answer the question. Talk to your group andwrite your answer on your paper. (One person writes for everygroup.)• When I say “stop,” stop writing. Put your pencil on your desk.• Timer