• Power steering uses the motor to assist you in steering the
• If the engine is off or if the power steering system becomes
inoperative, the vehicle may still be steered, but it will
require increased steering effort.
What type of motor is used in EPS?
• The EPS system uses a brushless motor , where the rotor (armature)
turns inside the stator (there are other types). Three separate stator
windings produce electromagnets.
What does the EPS system do?
• The EPS controls and assists with the support of an
intelligent electric motor the vehicle steering.
• Based on the steering signal from the torque sensor, the
control unit calculates the optimal steering support and
sends the information to the electric motor to provide the
How does EPS steering work?
• Electronic sensors pick up the amount of steering lock being applied
and add in a proportional amount of additional force to the steering
• Electrical charge is used to rotate the motor and through energy
transfer, a lateral force is produced that aids the movement along the
Where are EPS used?
•EPS is widely used in walls, roofs, and floors, where its
compressive strength can be tailored for specific
systems such as beam and block construction,
underfloor heating systems, and below concrete floor