O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a navegar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nosso Contrato do Usuário e nossa Política de Privacidade.
O SlideShare utiliza cookies para otimizar a funcionalidade e o desempenho do site, assim como para apresentar publicidade mais relevante aos nossos usuários. Se você continuar a utilizar o site, você aceita o uso de cookies. Leia nossa Política de Privacidade e nosso Contrato do Usuário para obter mais detalhes.
Assess The Usage
of Tele-Cardiology Platform
P. K. Naidu, S. Maheshwari, D. Krishnamurthy, S. Kumar
Burden of Cardiovascular Disease
• Cardiovascular Disease (CVD) is the Number One cause of death worldwide
• 80% of CVD deaths take place in Low-and Middle-income Countries (LMICs)
• People in LMICs who suffer from CVDs have less access to effective and
equitable healthcare,which results in late detection during the course of
disease and usually die young.
Shortage in Cardia
United States European Union
Recommendation for General Cardiologist /million population.
India – Total Number of qualified cardiologists - <4000
(judged by Cardiological society of India).
A huge shortage in Cardiologists.
Aims and Objectives
Evaluate the Effectiveness of a Telecardiology Platform for
• Web based Telecardiology platform
CARDIOSpa was tested within a
clinic in Bangalore and remotely
with clinics in Assam, Uttar Pradesh
and Karnataka states in India.
• CARDIOSpa uses secure connection
in transmitting Echocardiography
and other cardiac diagnostic images
and is Health Insurance Portability
and Accountability (HIPAA)
Materials and Methods
• In Assam and Uttar Pradesh – Patient walks in for a cardiac evaluation.
• Trained health professional/technician conducts the ECG on the patient.
• ECG images are attached to CARDIOSpa using the easy to use workflow.
• The Cardiologist gets a notification and can view the ECG with a secured login and
report it quickly .
• Pre-installed macros helps in easy reporting and quick sign offs.
• Telemedicine centre gets access to print the report.
Reporting's Using CARDIOSpa.
• Sonographer performs echo at the clinic
according to CARDIOSpa’s imaging protocol.
• On completion, the study automatically gets
transferred to CARDIOSpa platform.
• Sonographer completes his provisional report
and assigns it to the cardiologist in the panel
• Cardiologist downloads the images in
CARDIOSpa Dicom and reviews it with adequate
resolution. The provisional sonographers report
is correlated and a final diagnosis and report is
• The clinic prints the echo report to hand it over
to the patient
A Nurse in the telemedicine centre
places the Digital stethoscope on the
patients chest. The Cardiologists can
hear the patients heart beat and
murmurs if any from his end remotely
• The Quality of sounds from the Digital stethoscope varied due to low
bandwidth at the remote centre .Another reason being loud background
noise at these centres.
• In patients with poor echo windows diagnosis was limited.
• Reporting time was delayed in some cases due unavailability of personal
From Jan –July – 2015
• Tele-Echoes : 1278 cases reported for Bangalore clinic with
• Tele-ECGs : 316 cases reported for Assam and Uttarpradesh
• Tele- Consultation : 7 successful Consults
Bundle Branch Block
TELE-ECG`S IN 316
Total Tele-Echoes reported by
Pediatric and Adult Cardiologist
Trained Cardiac Sonographers and ECG technicians can play a significant
role using Tele-cardiology in diagnosis of heart disease at earlier
stage/follow up in remote clinics where accessibility and availability of
cardiologists /cardiac centres are difficult.